9.8.06

Love and Struggle

The title of the debate I am organising, but moreover the reality of many friends of mine. To love in life the persons they want to love they have to struggle in many other fields of life. The debate discusses the role of the Dutch government in taking the lead in world wide emancipation. Is homosexuality only a luxurious western value which we try to impose on other cultures? Or is it a basic human right? Young people will discuss these and other issues with Dutch politicians.

The topic -love and struggle- is currently also a very central issue in my personal life, occuring in different ways. I think that it makes me stronger in translating young people's needs in politicial work... but at certain moments it also makes takes away all my energy. It seems that the fight of activists sometimes is a vicious circle of frustration and positive visibility, whereas there is such big need for structural support to activities of e.g. lgbt youth organisations.

So it's time for a little break. I'm going to camp in Normandy a couple of days... to unplug from the web and phone. And to breathe some fresh sea-air, eat some fish and drink some red wine... and to have a good time with a dear friend!

1 opmerking:

Agnieszka Tatera zei

I'll be in Rotterdam since early morning 8th September until noon 10th September. Then I'm going to Brussels to stay there until 15th of September :)

As my friend said me - he planed a lot of things in Rotterdam, but if you would like you could visit us and have a nice dinner or drink. Or maybe join the Erasmus students party on 8th, where my friend will be a DJ :)