20.5.07

Kazakhstan

I am on my way to Almaty, on my way to a country of which existence I almost was not aware until a few years ago. A country in which the electorate yesterday decided that its president will be president for life – a country in which the its president faces almost no resistance. A country in which horse-head can be tabled, a country which still practices death-penalty and a country with the biggest amount of nuclear waste in the world. But Kazakhstan also has the fastest growing economy in the region (9-10% per year), ecologic-programs, and is aiming to chair the OSCE from 2009 onwards.
I am happy that I didn't see Borat yet, just not to have a completely subjective view on the country. And I’m looking forward to learn about the country!

1 opmerking:

aalto zei

I don't think BORAT is worthwhile - it was anyway made in romania :)