28.6.07

Lost in administration and the big human rights quiz

A hectic day. It started at the office where I together with the administrator worked on finances. I learned two lessons in the past years about bookkeeping. 1: always make the administrator your best friend, becuase you can't do without them. 2: every administrator has a completely own way of working and want to administer everything in a completely different way.
The Netherlands doesn't have a lunch-culture, mostly we eat a sandwich behind our desk. But I went for a quick lunch with Juul (great bagels!) and we talked about her experiences with the OSCE - an organisation that still is rather exclusive to certain discrimination grounds. Interesting input and I will discuss this further tomorrow with another civil society representative.

In the afternoon I visited the farewell reception of the Dutch Human Rights embassador. For his farewell the quiz 1 against 100 was organised, I didn't bring it far as I didn't know whether 4 or 10 country rapporteurs had been appointed in the UN council since June 19th.... (10 is the right answer!). An interesting ocassion to learn more about the UN work on Human Rights and the importance of Special Procedures, and of course about the work of our embassador.

Geen opmerkingen: